Most people develop an interest for real estate development and construction over time. For Tom Rowe, that passion was in his blood.
Tom grew up in a home that worshipped the entrepreneur. His father is a real estate developer, home builder and successful real estate broker in northern Michigan. From operating bulldozers to drafting legal documents, Tom has enjoyed developing skills in all levels/aspects of real estate and business over his career.
Tom and his wife moved to Cincinnati in 2004 to be close to her family. Following the move, Tom joined the Miller-Valentine Group where he met Matt Packer and Peter Horton. At MVG, he held a series of development and financing positions that culminated in leading the company’s asset management group where he enjoyed responsibility for a national portfolio of over 14,000 apartment units.
Tom believed that urban redevelopment was a long-term trend in the U.S. He believed that a company could succeed by focusing on development and construction in the urban core of Cincinnati. Matt and Pete agreed and as a team they decided to leave MVG to start Terrex. In addition to pursuing its own projects, the Company was also started to serve Messer Construction’s clients’ development needs in Cincinnati and in its other markets, including Indianapolis, Dayton, Louisville, and Columbus.
At Terrex, Tom sources and manages the execution of complex development projects and manages all aspects of the development process, as well as the day-to-day operations of the Company. He enjoys working with his partners to empower and support Terrex’s team of dedicated professionals to be decision makers and to always do the “right thing,” impacting their communities, projects, customers and the firm in a positive way.
Over time, Tom has developed a diverse array of projects in a broad base of asset classes, including senior housing, multifamily housing, affordable housing, condominiums, landominiums, restaurant, hotel, golf courses, office and retail. Most recently at Terrex he has led some of Cincinnati’s largest and most high-profile construction and real estate development projects, including the Digital Futures Complex, student housing at Xavier University, and managing a complex environmental remediation and site reutilization project at “On the Lateral”.
Tom is also passionate about contributing to the community. He serves as a board member for ULI Cincinnati, sits on the innovative ULI REAL Board, which is working to introduce real estate careers to aspiring minorities in Cincinnati, is a former member of the board of trustees at Mt. St. Joseph University, a former board member of Cincinnati Works and a former member of the board of trustees of the Hyde Park Neighborhood Council. He is also a founding member of both the Parents for Hyde Park School and the Hyde Park School Foundation.
Tom is a resident of Cincinnati where he lives with his wife of 20 years and two sons. In his spare time, Tom enjoys chasing (sometimes catching) fish, downhill skiing, bird hunting, golfing, running, waterskiing, hiking, wood working, travelling, and, generally, spending quality time with family and friends.
Thomas B. Rowe | Principal
- Source and manage the execution of complex development projects in multiple asset classes on behalf of third-party clients and for the Company.
- Manage all aspects of the development process, including site selection, entitlement, due diligence, design, pro forma financial modeling, project financing, public funding, marketing, stabilization and permanent financing.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Company.
- Terrex Development & Construction, Principal and Co-Founder – Sept 2014 to Present
- Miller-Valentine Group, Senior Developer – February 2006 to Aug 2014
Representative Project Experience:
- Uptown Gateway – Cincinnati, OH
- Developing a $225M mixed use project on a new urban interchange that offers over 400,000 SF of office and a 200 key hotel over two underground parking structures.
- University Station Phase IB – Norwood, OH
- Developing a subsequent phase of market based student housing for Xavier University adjacent to the existing University Station development.
- University Station Phase II – Cincinnati, OH
- Working to develop two office buildings on the University Station site along Dana Avenue.
- On the Lateral – Norwood, OH
- Developing a 90,000 SF office on a former industrial site. Project involved complex assembly, environmental issues and multiple sources of funding, including a grant from the State of Ohio.
- Seymour Advanced Manufacturing Phase I – Cincinnati, OH
- Working with The Port and Messer Construction to deliver approximately 75,000 SFT of speculative industrial space on the former Cincinnati Gardens site.
- Seymour Advanced Manufacturing Phase II – Cincinnati, OH
- Working with The Port and Messer Construction to develop, market, build and deliver a BTSL 120,000 SFT industrial space on the former Cincinnati Gardens site.
- Messer Construction Headquarters – Cincinnati, OH
- Developed a 75,000 sq. ft. commercial office building downtown Cincinnati, including negotiation of city and state financial incentives.
- Zumbiel Packaging – Norwood, OH
- Consulted with ownership to redevelop a former industrial site into a new commercial office development. Able to turn what had been a liability into a marketable asset for ownership.
- Meadow Vista – Des Moines, IA
- 99 unit multifamily and senior living community.
- Brighton Bay – Jacksonville, FL
- Developed a $27M, 180 unit, senior independent living community as part of a Del Webb community.
- Pinebrook – Cincinnati, OH
- Developed a $17M, 125 unit, senior independent living community.
- Stone Bridge at Winton Woods – Cincinnati, OH
- Managed the development and management of this 76 unit entrance fee based senior community.
- The Chief Golf Course – Bellaire, MI
- Development of this golf community included a championship golf course, clubhouse, restaurant and a 150 unit condominium.
- Hawk’s Eye Golf Resort – Bellaire, MI
- This is a single family home (250 homesites) community built around what has become one of the best golf courses in the State of Michigan and included 300 acres of total development area, a clubhouse, restaurant and condominiums.
- The Legend Cottage Inn – Bellaire, MI
- Hotel in a large resort setting.
Professional Associations & Involvement:
- ULI Cincinnati | Advisory Board Member, former Advisory Board chair and former DC Chair
- St. Joseph University | Member of the Board of Trustees
- Cincinnati Works | Former Board Member
- Hyde Park Neighborhood Council | Former Board Member
- Parents for Hyde Park School | Founding Member
- Hyde Park School Foundation | Founding Member
- State Bar of Ohio (active), Illinois (inactive) and Michigan (inactive)
Education & Designations:
- Masters Business Administration, Loyola University Chicago
- Juris Doctorate, Loyola University Chicago
- Bachelor of Science, Michigan State University
- My wife Marisa and I have been married for over 16 years and have two wonderful sons.
- We moved to Cincinnati in 2004 and live in Hyde Park.
- Have enjoyed helping to coach my kids’ soccer teams.
- Enjoy skiing, fishing, golfing, running and spending time with family and friends.